Introducing Google Workspace for Education
Providing institutions the better choices and flexibility when choosing the tools to enhance teaching and learning experience.
In October 2020, Google announced the rebranding of the office suite, G Suite to Google Workspace. Now, it is the time for the new era of Education products. Google recently introduced Google Workspace for Education!
Google Workspace for Education remains all the products you already use including Classroom, Meet, Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and many more. Over 170 million students and educators worldwide rely on our suite of tools. Everything you need to teach, learn, connect and share will remain all in one place, accessible from anywhere on any device.
The free edition G Suite for Education is renamed to Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals. G Suite Enterprise for Education is renamed to Google Workspace for Education Plus. All customers who are already on G Suite Enterprise for Education will automatically receive new features and functionality that are released to the new Google Workspace for Education editions.
Institutions that aim to extend the capabilities of teaching and learning tools, as well as security concerns, can extend Google Workspace Fundamentals with one of the paid versions.
New Storage Policy
Google previously offered unlimited storage to qualifying institutions for free. However, starting in July 2022, the new storage model will provide a baseline of 100TB of pooled cloud storage shared across all the users in the institutions.
Google also announced new features regarding teaching and learning tools:
- Mute all Google Meet participants at once. Read more
- Educators using tablets or mobile phones to teach will also have access to key moderation controls, like who can join their meetings or use the chat or share their screen, directly from their iOS or Android devices.
- Google Meet audit log to understand user’s video meeting activity is now available in admin console
- Analyze Classroom activity logs (coming soon)
- Track student engagement (coming later this year)
- Keep learning happening while offline (coming later this year)
Source: Google Workspace for Education